1) Your running theme is based on a strong old school vibe, chopping your sound up with plenty of classic soul, even your website talks of the ‘golden age’ when songwriting had more quality; what do you think has been lost with modern music and do you see it coming back into the mainstream any time soon?
>> I DON’T THINK ALL IS LOST BUT THE MAJORITY IS IN TERMS OF THE GENRE DEEP HOUSE, WE HAVE OUR SINGERS BUT I DON’T THINK WE HAVE ENOUGH STRONG SONG WRITERS AND WHAT I MEAN BY THAT IS SONGS WRITTEN THAT MANY CAN RELEATE TO RIGHT NOW , NOT THE SAME OL’ “I LOVE YOU…” “I’M FALLIN’ IN LOVE…” ETC. ETC. STYLE, I THINK WE ALL BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT, I DON’T WANT IT TO STOP JUST SAYING THERE’S TO MUCH OF IT.
>> I’M HOPING MORE AND MORE ARTIST AND SINGERS LIKE: MONIQUE BINGHAM, PEVEN EVERETT, MYSELF ETC. ETC. WHO WRITE MUSIC THAT PEOPLE CAN RELEATE TO AND IS FRESH, TO CONTINUE TO WRITE THIS WAY AND HOPEFULLY INSPIRE THE NEXT WRITER TO STEP UP.
2) How did you manage to be playing sets by the ripe old age of 14 and how soon did you feel that you were taken seriously as a DJ?
>> WELL I STARTED PLAYING AT 16 NOT 14 AND IT WAS ALL A JOKE FOR ME, IT WAS AT A FRIENDS PLACE, HE GOT HIS EQUIPMENT FOR HIS BIRTHDAY AND I WAS ALWAYS BLOWN AWAY BY BEING ABLE TO BLEND MUSIC..I DON’T KNOW WHY, IT WAS IN MY LATER YEARS AROUND 22 WERE I STARTED TO TAKE DJING SERIOUSLY.
3) If you had to play someone a set who had never heard music before, where would you start and what would you finish with?
>> DEPENDS….I WOULD FIRST LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE INTO CURRENTLY AND THEN I WOULD TAKE IT FROM THERE.
4) Your history of success has a rather large Louie Vega reference to it and his influence obviously had a marked effect on your career’s direction; how did you move from watching his set from a dance floor to having his devoted attention as your mentor?
>> PRODUCTION STARTED IT, NOT DJING, DJING COMES DIME A DOZEN WHERE WE ARE FROM BUT IT MAINLY STARTED FROM SHOWING HIM MY DEMO’S AND WHAT TYPE OF MUSICAL DIRECTION I WAS COMING FROM AND PRODUCING.
5) If you had to list three main points that you learned from Louie, what would they be?
>> CROWD READING [DJING], MUSICAL CHANGES [PRODUCTION], PRESENTATION [DJING].
6) Now that you are 20 years into a successful life of music making yourself, what are three things that you would teach someone were you now the mentor?
>> PRESENTATION [DJING] IS #1 YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE IDEAL SET UP YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH AND THE PROPER SOUND THAT WILL MAKE YOU COMFORTABLE NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, IT HAS TO MAKE PEOPLE REMEMBER THE NIGHT BECAUSE OF THE MUSIC AND SOUND.
>> THICK SKIN, MANY UPON MANY WILL CRITIQUE YOUR MUSIC OR DJING, JUST KNOW THAT NOT EVERYONE IS GONNA LIKE WHAT YOU DO BUT IF YOUR HAPPY AND YOUR FANS ARE HAPPY THEN WHO CARES BUT JUST EXPECT IT.
>> THIS IS A BUSINESS FIRST BEFORE IT IS A HOBBY OR FUN THING TO DO, YOU HAVE TO KNOW PUBLISHING, ROYALTY STATEMENTS AND SUCH, YOU MUST KNOW THE BUSINESS YOUR GETTING INTO BEFORE YOU TAKE YOUR CHANCE IN IT.
7) When do you feel you have taken the biggest risks to develop your career? Launching Sole Channel Music? Releasing your debut album?
>> WELL I NEVER TOOK RISK, I ALWAYS FELT GOOD ABOUT WHAT I DO AND WHAT I PUT OUT, I RESEARCH CURRENT TRENDS AND SEE HOW I CAN APPLY IT TO WHAT I’M DOING, RISK COME WITH EVERYTHING, YOU CAN BE CAREFUL BUT YOU HAVE TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU CAN TAKE SUCH RISK.
8) Any old classics that you’ve just cottoned onto as great crowd pleasers in the middle of a set?
>> RECENTLY I DUG OUT M-PEOPLE – “MOVIN’ ON UP” [MK DUB] AND IT STILL GET’S PEOPLE AMPED.
9) What has been your biggest challenge for you over the last year or so?
>> BEING A FATHER TO AN ADORABLE BABY GIRL.
10) Projects of the near future that have you hyped?
>> TALES FROM THE DEEPSIDE 3 [THE FINAL CHAPTER], WELCOME BACK [MY SECOND ALBUM], THE INTRO [MISS PATTY’S DEBUT ALBUM]
11) Any personal predictions for some new up and comers?
>> WATCH OUT FOR THE AFRO HOUSE SOUND AND THE MINIMAL TECH SOUND, GREAT STUFF COMING FROM THESE 2 GENRE’S.
12) Last words?
>> PAY ME A VISIT: www.solechannelmusic.com
>> DOWNLOAD US FOR FREE: http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/the-sole-channel-cafe-mr-v/id345960513
>> SOUNDCLOUD: www.soundcloud.com/solechannelmusic